Close Menu
  • Home
  • Education
  • Health
  • National News
  • Politics
  • Relationship & Wellness
  • World News
What's Hot

Trump accuses SCOTUS of being swayed by foreign interests after legal setback; attacks US companies and attorneys with India ties – The Times of India

February 21, 2026

What is Area 51: From Cold War spy planes to Trump’s order to uncover the ‘extraterrestrial’ truth

February 21, 2026

'We failed': Australia star's painful dressing room confession after T20 World Cup exit | Cricket News – The Times of India

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Global News Bulletin
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Education
  • Health
  • National News
  • Politics
  • Relationship & Wellness
  • World News
Global News Bulletin
Home»Business»China takes steps against U.S.-linked units of South Korea shipbuilder Hanwha
Business

China takes steps against U.S.-linked units of South Korea shipbuilder Hanwha

editorialBy editorialOctober 14, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
China takes steps against U.S.-linked units of South Korea shipbuilder Hanwha
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

Hanwha’s headquarters in Seoul, South Korea. Picture: hanwha.com

China announced sanctions on Tuesday (October 14, 2025) against five U.S.-linked subsidiaries of South Korean shipbuilder Hanwha Ocean amid trade tensions between the world’s two largest economies, sending the company’s shares sharply lower.

The move, announced by the Chinese Commerce Ministry, comes on the day that China and the U.S. implement additional port fees targeting each others’ vessels, although China has exempted ships it built.

Organisations and individuals within China are prohibited from engaging in any transactions, cooperation or related activities with these Hanwha entities, the Ministry said in a statement.

“Hanwha Ocean’s U.S.-related subsidiaries have assisted and supported the U.S. government’s relevant investigative activities, thereby jeopardising China’s sovereignty, security, and developmental interests,” the statement said, without elaborating.

Hanwha did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

In August, Hanwha announced a $5 billion additional investment on the Philly Shipyard, which it acquired in 2024 for $100 million, after South Korea pledged to inject as much as $150 billion to help the U.S. revive its domestic industry.

President Donald Trump’s administration has said the U.S. needs help from allies Japan and South Korea to revitalise the troubled shipbuilding sector, which is lagging behind China, especially for manufacturing warships.

Hanwha’s domestic rival HD Hyundai Heavy Industries, the world’s largest shipbuilder, is also in talks with multiple companies to acquire U.S. shipyards, Reuters reported in September.

Hanwha runs a shipyard in Shandong, China, that builds modules of ship components, according to a company filing. Hanwha supplies the modules to its shipyard in South Korea for the final assembly, according to the firm.

Shares of Hanwha Ocean tumbled 5.3% at 0417 GMT after China announced the countermeasures. HD Hyundai Heavy slipped 4.4%.

Mr. Trump’s administration announced earlier this year plans to levy fees on China-linked ships to loosen Beijing’s grip on the global maritime industry and bolster U.S. shipbuilding.

China hit back last week saying it would impose its own port fees on U.S.-linked vessels on the same day then U.S. fees come into effect.

China has called U.S. measures targeting its maritime, logistics, and shipbuilding industries a serious violation of international law and fundamental norms of international relations.

Published – October 14, 2025 12:37 pm IST

Follow on Google News Follow on Flipboard
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleChandigarh admn’s crackdown on food adulteration: 26 paneer and khoya samples seized
Next Article Donald Trump Speech: Donald Trump pauses speech, asks Pak PM Shehbaz Sharif to say 'few words'; Sharif kowtows, parrots ceasefire claim | World News – The Times of India
editorial
  • Website

Related Posts

Trump accuses SCOTUS of being swayed by foreign interests after legal setback; attacks US companies and attorneys with India ties – The Times of India

February 21, 2026

'We failed': Australia star's painful dressing room confession after T20 World Cup exit | Cricket News – The Times of India

February 21, 2026

Why US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's trade tariffs; explained in 10 points – The Times of India

February 21, 2026

Zepto delivery boy killed after speeding car rams scooter in Delhi’s Subhash Nagar; driver held | Delhi News – The Times of India

February 21, 2026

After layoffs and shutting down studios, Meta is making more changes to the 'team' Mark Zuckerberg changed company's name for – The Times of India

February 21, 2026

Israel launches strike on Lebanon; 10 dead including senior Hezbollah leader —video shows aftermath – The Times of India

February 21, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Economy News

Trump accuses SCOTUS of being swayed by foreign interests after legal setback; attacks US companies and attorneys with India ties – The Times of India

By editorialFebruary 21, 2026

TOI correspondent from Washington: In an extraordinary and unprecedented attack on a storied 236-year old…

What is Area 51: From Cold War spy planes to Trump’s order to uncover the ‘extraterrestrial’ truth

February 21, 2026

'We failed': Australia star's painful dressing room confession after T20 World Cup exit | Cricket News – The Times of India

February 21, 2026
Top Trending

Trump accuses SCOTUS of being swayed by foreign interests after legal setback; attacks US companies and attorneys with India ties – The Times of India

By editorialFebruary 21, 2026

TOI correspondent from Washington: In an extraordinary and unprecedented attack on a…

What is Area 51: From Cold War spy planes to Trump’s order to uncover the ‘extraterrestrial’ truth

By editorialFebruary 21, 2026

The name Area 51 instantly conjures images of flying saucers, hidden autopsies…

'We failed': Australia star's painful dressing room confession after T20 World Cup exit | Cricket News – The Times of India

By editorialFebruary 21, 2026

After returning figures of 4/27 to earn the Player of the Match…

Subscribe to News

Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

News

  • Education
  • Health
  • National News
  • Relationship & Wellness
  • World News
  • Politics

Company

  • Information
  • Advertising
  • Classified Ads
  • Contact Info
  • Do Not Sell Data
  • GDPR Policy
  • Media Kits

Services

  • Subscriptions
  • Customer Support
  • Bulk Packages
  • Newsletters
  • Sponsored News
  • Work With Us

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

© Copyright Global News Bulletin.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Accessibility
  • Website Developed by Digital Strikers

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.