January 25, 2023
The Dollar Tree announced yesterday that its executive chairman, Richard Dreiling, named CEO of the company. He replaces Mike Witniski, who has led the company since last year, after serving in a leadership position in his tree in 2010.
Dreiling, who will become CEO on January 29, was appointed executive chairman of the company last March.In particular, Mr. Dreiling 2021 He worked with activist investor Mantle Ridge to advance Dollar Tree’s leadership and improve the lagging performance of Family Dollar Chain.
Family Dollar was acquired by Dollar Tree after a bidding war with Dollar General, then led by Rick Drailing. Dreiling, CEO of Dollar General from 2008 to 2015, tried to buy Family Dollar for $9.7 billion in 2014. He even promised to postpone his planned retirement at the time to make the deal work.
Dollar Tree eventually acquired Family Dollar, despite a lower bid price than Dollar General. Analysis at the time was that federal regulators would consider the merger of the top two dollar store chains an antitrust violation. Dreiling and Dollar General believed regulators would look at the competitive landscape more broadly and understand that the market includes Walgreens, Walmart and many others.
Dollar Tree spent most of last year under reconstruction Executive Suite new people play many roles.
The company is also focused on making Family Dollar competitive with Dollar General and other rivals.Mr Witnyski tells analysts about Dollar Tree’s third quarter Financial results announcement In November, the company made a “material price investment in family dollars,” turning the chain into a “Match your prices with your major competitors and expand your reach to grocery and drugstores. ”
Family Dollar reported a 4.1% increase in same-store sales over the period. third quarter The company sees it as an early sign that its price focus is working.
Mr Witnyski said traffic increased at the chain’s stores and consumable sales. “Despite ticket headwinds related to price action in Q2, it increased by 4.7% on a comparative basis. Shoppers clearly see greater value and are responding to our enhanced advertising initiatives. ”
- Rick Dryling Named Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Dollar Tree – Dollar Tree Inc.
- Dollar Tree Announces Board Restructuring and New Executive Committee Chairs – Dollar Tree Inc.
- Former Dollar General CEO May Finally Get a Chance to Solve Family Dollar Problems retail wire
- Dollar Tree Inc. (DLTR) Financial Results Briefing Minutes – motley fool
- Dollar Tree, Inc. Reports Third Quarter Results for Fiscal Year 2022 – Dollar Tree Inc.
- Dollar Tree Announces New Executive Positions as Part of Company Transformation – Dollar Tree Inc.
- Dollar Tree, Inc. Appoints Pedro Voyer as Chief Development Officer – Dollar Tree Inc.
- Dollar Tree Appoints Michael Creedon as Chief Operating Officer – Dollar Tree Inc.
- Dollar Tree, Inc. Appoints Jeffrey A. Davis as Chief Financial Officer – Dollar Tree Inc.
Discussion Questions: What impact do you think Rick Drailing will have on Dollar Tree and Family Dollar? What will his appointment mean for Dollar General and other Dollar Tree competitors? do you want?
“What impact do you think Rick Dreiling will have on the Dollar Tree and Family Dollar?”